When you travel away from Russia what do you miss the most?

Violette asked:
When you travel away from Russia what do you miss the most about your home country? I am interested because I have just moved from Australia to London and its the less obvious things that I miss about home.

Hello Violette!

I’ve traveled to Asia for 6 months with my gf; that was the longest trip I’ve taken so far.
Before I decided to go I was worried that I’d miss Russian language around, or ability to buy Russian paper books. I was also afraid to miss my friends and mom.

It turned out all wrong. I didn’t miss any of that. Friends lived next door, mom came visit.
It was also so relieving to get time and space free of previous life!

I felt the same moving from Moscow to St. Pete 8 years ago, leaving all of childish and students’ life behind. All those objects from past, so good to leave them behind. Life feels much fresher.

But what then I missed in Asia being away from motherland?

Old movies.
We watched a lot because we really missed them. Good thing there are many old Soviet movies with English subtitles (see CC label) on official Mosfilm YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm/videos?sort=da&view=0&flow=list

Food featured in old movies.
Seriously, I started starving without special sausages. Pickled fish, too.

Real clothes.
In Asia we were wearing only summer clothes. Sometimes I thought I have nice jeans at home and some day I will wear them, too. In a place where it’s not so hot.

Cultural life.
There are a lot of activities in St. Pete. Starting from cinemas and fancy cafes — to book reading meetings and watercolor workshops. It’s so easy to do all this in your mother tongue.

We adopted a cat later. And now I guess I'd miss her the most. She cannot fly oceans like mom just to see me.


This post is an answer to one of The Listserve replies I’ve got.
You can ask your question, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment